Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Battle cry

Last night was...epic. 

I knew something was going down. I felt tension rising - even the clouds were unstable. Around two o’clock, when the thunder crashed against the mountain tops and the sky was about to weep, my heart began singing its own song. Be ready, it said. 

So I was. 

Every night a different NGO has spoken. First night was Zach Hunter, a 16 year-old abolitionist. Tuesday was Charles Lee of Just One (www.just4one.org) and last night was Invisible Children. 

Before Laren got on stage, though, Will walked up to introduced Sean so everyone could hear the story of Falling Whistles. It was short. As Sean began walking off stage, Will pulled him back. A couple weeks ago, they had a conversation about Falling Whistles and the slogan: “Their weapons; our voices.” Back then, they had discussed the implications of a bullet whistle - symbolizing both sides of the token and making a heavier statement. 

Last night Will gave Sean a gift of the first ever bullet whistle. When he handed it to him, he said, “Wait. Blow it.” 

Sean took a deep breath and blew - a sound like no other pierced through the auditorium. Immediately people started cheering and clapping. 

Will turned to the audience, and I honestly don’t remember what he said, but I do know that he asked if we were willing to stand with Sean and Zach and Dry Tears and Invisible Children and Justin and Kira and everyone else who had presented, to stand and blow our whistles on injustice. 

God moved. I felt it in the breeze coming through the back doors. With tears in my eyes and my heart finishing its song from earlier in the day, I blew the whistle as loud as I could.

Injustice rests only in the shadows. Last night, the whistles pierced through the darkness and moved the heart of God. The battle cry sounded. 

There’s a striking beauty in being uncomfortable. Not many will dirty their hands in an effort to spread love and fight for the cause of the widow, orphaned, or houseless. However, the beauty comes in letting go and trusting that God knows above all. The beauty comes in looking around and seeing a community of believers ready to fight the battle with you. Taking that step has never looked so serene. 

So here I sit in the cafeteria, empty save for workers taking their lunch break and a few friends talking in the corner. I expect something else will happen tonight. In the distance, the clouds are beginning to gather. The faintest sound of a beating drum is echoing in my heart. 

The battle has begun.

1 comment:

Josh Orr said...

Hey, i just noticed you had me on your sidebar.... thanks for putting me there and I really like your blog!